Welcome back to Glenns Motorhomes’ Beginner’s Guide to Motorhome Insurance. If you missed Part 1 in the series, be sure to check back on our post from April to learn the basics of what type of motorhome you can insure, the kind of coverage you need and how to get the lowest premium possible.


Motorhome security

By improving the security of your motorhome you get a better chance of a discount from insurers. Approved alarms, tracking devices and immobilisers are particular favourites of insurance brokers as they represent serious efforts to prevent vehicle theft.

Take motorhome security seriously and read your insurance policy document thoroughly, and you will be less likely to invalidate your claim by making simple mistakes. For example, some insurers will not allow you to keep the vehicle at an unregistered address outside of a pre-booked holiday.

  • Never leave the vehicle running without being in the driver’s seat
  • Store keys away from windows and letter boxes (conceal them)
  • Fit an anti-theft device (alarm, GPS, immobiliser, steering lock, wheel clamp)
  • Lock your motorhome whenever it is unattended
  • Check the window locks of the motorhome
  • Conceal all valuables inside the motorhome when left unattended, including phones, satnavs, wallets

Motorhome insurance discounts

Insurers may offer further discounts for your motorhome if:

  • You’re a member of a motorhome club
  • You store the motorhome in a secure garage or secure site
  • You have reverse parking sensors or camera installed
  • You agree to a set annual milage

Contents cover

To guarantee a worry-free holiday, contents cover for personal items kept inside the motorhome is a great idea. Typical policies will cover expensive items such as laptops, phones and tablets but always check the policy details before signing up.

Check that the amount covered by your policy is enough to replace your items and also ensure that any excess is below the total amount you might have to claim for.

Avoid doubling up on insurance that you do not need by checking other insurance policies you have taken out. Sometimes home insurance and travel insurance includes contents cover. If you are uncertain, it’s worth a phone call to your insurance company.

You may think that doubling up on insurance isn’t a bad thing but it is best avoided because it can complicate matters if a claim needs to be made, and in the worst case scenario the policies can cancel each other out. Check your documents!


Policy considerations

Further to checking your policy details and other insurance documents, check over the entire policy so you know exactly what you are insured for. It is not a good idea to buy a policy based on good value only to find that a key aspect of the cover is not included when you make a claim.

Never assume that something comes as standard with your policy. Go over the terms and conditions with a fine tooth comb before handing over your hard earned money.

Common policy conditions you may want to consider include:

    • Audio equipment cover – covers audio/visual and navigation equipment fitted in the vehicle
    • Breakdown assistance – a good extra if you are not part of a roadside recovery scheme such as the AA or RAC
    • Courtesy car – means you stay mobile if your motorhome is a total loss
    • Emergency driver cover – this allows any driver to drive the motorhome in an emergency
    • Equipment cover – typically insures camping equipment and other non-fixed items within the motorhome against theft
    • Key theft or loss – modern keys with electronic systems for alarms and central locking are surprisingly costly to replace
    • Legal protection/cover – comes highly recommended in case you require representation in court
    • Trailer cover
    • Windscreen and glass cover
    • Vandalism cover

Driving abroad

For a trip to continental Europe, you need to take out a European insurance policy. This gives you the same level of cover as you would enjoy in the UK whilst driving in Europe.

Your standard insurance may cover driving in Europe but some insurers lower their level of cover once you drive away from mainland UK. Again, always check your policy cover before setting off.

Not being covered is dangerous and illegal whatever EU country you happen to be in. Ignoring the law could end up costing you far more in the long run. Some European countries also require a Green Card to prove your level of cover is adequate, so always keep this to hand, along with your driving licence.


Further afield

If you are going on a particularly long adventure, for most cases you will need an entirely different travel policy designed specifically for long term motorhome travel.

With the current trend for ‘van life’ travelling, some companies are beginning to specialise in this area – so you’re in luck! It’s rare that a domestic European insurance policy will cover travel beyond the EU and into regions such as Russia, Turkey or North Africa.


What else?

  • Take out personal health cover while travelling in case of any hospital visits that could become expensive without insurance
  • When in the EU, take your EHIC card as this will debit all health costs to the NHS if you require any care or treatment
  • Your home insurance must cover the period of time that you intend to leave it vacant; this is typically 31 days


Glenns Motorhomes are premier suppliers of preowned motorhomes and vehicles in Chesterfield, Derby, Nottingham and Sheffield. We also provide motorhome repairs and servicing, and are the one-stop shop for all motorhome enquiries throughout the Midlands and Yorkshire regions. For more information about our vehicles and other services, contact us online or by calling 0115 971 7509 today. We are always happy to help.